Hawai‘i County's Kīlauea disaster recovery team is developing recovery strategies and scenarios with the help of the community. Below is a timeline of milestones reached and those that are anticipated.
2018-2019 Completed Milestones
- Eruption begins.
- Immediate response from County and Hawai‘i Island Disaster Assistance Response and Recovery team (HI-DARRT).
- Presidential Major Disaster Declaration.
- Mayor assigns recovery team.
- Eruption ceases as lava disappears from Fissure 8.
- Federal/State recovery funding sought.
- Governor provides $12 million for disaster relief.
- Unemployment/employment benefits provided.
- Shelters close.
- Kūkulu Hou housing fair held.
- HI-DARRT and community partners continue outreach, and health, human service, and housing support.
- Governor provides $10 million for disaster relief and recovery planning.
- Temporary road over one inundated section of Highway 137 opened; access to Issac Hale Beach Park restored.
- Pāhoa Aquatic Center reopened.
- Eruption recovery interim website launched.
- County and Puna Geothermal Venture collaborate to restore road access to power plant and Highway 132 kipuka.
- Puna business recovery workshops held.
- State Legislature authorizes $60 million appropriation ($20 million for relief, recovery, mitigation, and remediation assistance; $40 million loan for matching Federal grants).
- Consultants for volcanic risk mitigation, economic recovery, and recovery plan hired.
- Priority Recovery Goals affirmed by Puna Community Development Plan Action Committee.
- Highway 132 construction begins.
- Recovery full website launched.
- Recovery Objectives affirmed by Puna CDP Action Committee.
- County Council approves Interim Recovery Strategy.
- Case Management contract awarded to Neighborhood Place of Puna.
- Kīlauea Eruption Risk Assessment (KERA) released.
- Recovery SpeakOut event held in Pāhoa.
- Highway 132 reopened.
- Disaster Recovery Task Force holds first meeting.
- Draft strategic recovery and economic recovery plans submitted for internal review.
2019-20 Anticipated Milestones
- Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) – possible funding application opens.
- Federal Emergency Management Public Assistance funding approved.